New circuts to 200 amp panel

Old 09-13-00, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Ok, long question. I am about to finish the wiring for our bed/bath addition. Being only an electrician wanna be, and not the real thing I have an important question. In my old 200 A Zinsco panel, I see only the neutral bus bar and no grounding bus bar like I installed in the sub panel I pulled for the kitchen re-do. Previously all the old 1960 wiring had no grounding wire, all was grounded through a cold water pipe, box to box in the wall from behind. With the new romex having a grounding wire I want to do it right at the main. My husband drove a grounding rod down the appropriate depth but it is still unconnected. Can I connect all the grounding wires to the neutral bus (grounded bus) and then bond the box to the rod? What is the best way to bond the box to the rod? There are few if any knockouts available. What size grounding conductor should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-00, 05:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I can't believe there wasn't a ground rod at your old panel if it is still your main panel then take at least a #3 wire to the ground rod all your green and bare wires and the white wires tie to the same bar in the old panel they have to be split at the new sub do not put a ground rod for the new panel