Temporary Electrical Power

Old 09-13-00, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Does anyone know how or can anyone tell me where to find information on the equipment needed and how to hook up temporary electrical power? Thanks...

Old 09-13-00, 04:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

To what? Please give more info.

Old 09-13-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Where do you want to have this temp. power? What kind of temp. power do you need? These answers are needed to give a good reply.

If you have access to the National Electrical Code book, Article 305 is the section that deals with temporary power. For the most part, all receptacles, whether they are 15, 20, 30, or 50amp need GFCI protection.

Hope this helps. if you need specific info., reply back.

RM

Old 09-13-00, 06:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
305-4-a tells us that for a service we have to refer to article 230 for permenant services.

There is no such thing as a temporary service.

I have a pass out, that I wrote, showing, in detail with pictures, how to build a temporary power pole for a service during construction purposes if this will help you.

Just email me and I will try to send it to you. wgoodrich@tds.net

If you need a quick answer in short as possible see following;

If with a one circuit panel service must be at least 30 amp rating. If with two circuit panel service must be 60 amp rating.

If 30 amp rated; 4x4 treated pole 15' long with 3' in ground meterbase at 5' 6" center of meter. one circuit w/p panel below meter. w/p j box with a gfi receptacle on a 20 amp breaker. Ground rod with #8 from ground rod to neutral bar in panel. Riser at least 12' high up pole with a weatherhead or goose neck at top of riser to shed water. 10 Ga in conduit riser with a white or grey tape identifying the neutral run down to the meter with the neutral in the middle and the two hots on both sides. 220 volt required by utility company for their meter to work properly. white wire from center bottom lug of meter run to the neutral bar of the disconnect and a black from either of the bottom side lugs to the lug in the disconnect connected to the line side of the breaker.

Hope this helps

Wg

Good luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: