3way switches

Old 09-13-00, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
I have 2 3way switches on different walls controling a wall outlet I would like to just use one switch to control the outlet and then be able to use the other switch to control a ceiling light? how can I do this right? thanks

Old 09-13-00, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
What type of room is this in, and is there currently any ceiling light? If so, how is it currently controlled? Also, is there any attic access?

Old 09-13-00, 09:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Well it's possible to do anything if you run enough wire, but this change is not trivial. The problem is that only one of these two switch boxes has line power to it. So in addition to running a wire up to the new ceiling light, you'd have to run new line power to one of the switch boxes.

There are sure a lot of problems reported in this forum by somebody who tried to take power off a switch box.

Old 09-13-00, 11:07 AM
Visiting Guest
On second thought, you could rewire the first switch to provide switched power on the black wire, and unswitched power on the red wire. Then you'd have line power to the second switch.

You'll need a voltmeter to determine which is the "first switch" and which is the "second switch". Don't even start without first figuring out exactly how it's wired now.

Old 09-13-00, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I noticed you mention 2 3 way switches controling a wall outlet. If you mean that these switches are controling a receptacle then I suspect that you won't have a white grounded leg in either switch but will have power in the receptacle then a 12/2 switch leg to the first three way switch and then a 12/3 between the two switches without a white grounded leg. Don't take for granted that a white wire in a switch box is a grounded leg. It may be momentaily hot. Use a tester to find how this system is wired as previously advised. Once you know where continuous hot and white grounded and bare grounding is found in the system then decide you to wire it.

Good Luck

wg

Old 09-13-00, 11:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I suggest tackling this job in two steps. First switch the outlet and get that working, then add the ceiling light later, using the other switch. Here's how to wire the switch.
From the outlet to one of the boxes, (you determine which one), there should be a black and a white wire carrying the "hot". The white should carry the hot to the switch and the black should carry it back down to the outlet. There should also be three other wires in the switch box, a white, black, and red carrying power to the second 3-way switch. I'm betting it's wired this way, it may not be. (This is power originating at the outlet). If it is exactly as I say, simply use the white and black running from the outlet to the first 3-way switch and replace the 3-way switch with a regular single-pole switch. The other 3 wires that are running to the second 3-way switch should have no power and can be capped off. These switches could be wired several different ways so be careful. If the outlet is in between the two switches it's probably not wired like I said. As far as the ceiling light goes, you'd be better off tapping from an existing ceiling box in the attic and running a new cable down to a switch box rather than trying to tap from a 3-way switch wiring.

Old 09-14-00, 01:02 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Vic:
What type of room is this in, and is there currently any ceiling light? If so, how is it currently controlled? Also, is there any attic access?<HR>
Vic thanks for answering the switches are in the living rm there is no light ceiling fixture yet I want to put one in thanks

Old 09-14-00, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
On second thought, you could rewire the first switch to provide switched power on the black wire, and unswitched power on the red wire. Then you'd have line power to the second switch.

You'll need a voltmeter to determine which is the "first switch" and which is the "second switch". Don't even start without first figuring out exactly how it's wired now.
<HR>
thanks for info will borrow a voltmeter thanks

Old 09-14-00, 01:06 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Handyone:
I suggest tackling this job in two steps. First switch the outlet and get that working, then add the ceiling light later, using the other switch. Here's how to wire the switch.
From the outlet to one of the boxes, (you determine which one), there should be a black and a white wire carrying the "hot". The white should carry the hot to the switch and the black should carry it back down to the outlet. There should also be three other wires in the switch box, a white, black, and red carrying power to the second 3-way switch. I'm betting it's wired this way, it may not be. (This is power originating at the outlet). If it is exactly as I say, simply use the white and black running from the outlet to the first 3-way switch and replace the 3-way switch with a regular single-pole switch. The other 3 wires that are running to the second 3-way switch should have no power and can be capped off. These switches could be wired several different ways so be careful. If the outlet is in between the two switches it's probably not wired like I said. As far as the ceiling light goes, you'd be better off tapping from an existing ceiling box in the attic and running a new cable down to a switch box rather than trying to tap from a 3-way switch wiring.
<HR>

thank im gonna try it

Old 09-14-00, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Handyone:
<HR>
thanks you have been a big help im going to give it a try thanks again

Old 09-14-00, 01:09 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:

<HR>
thanks for info will borrow a voltmeter thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: