lost power

Old 09-16-00, 06:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I have (1) circuit controlling 6 duplex outlets in my daughters room. Four(4) duplex outlets failed to operate. The others work fine. Teenagers stereo and TV won't work. In need of desparate help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I assume all the breakers are on. If one looks suspicious, flip it all the way to the off position and turn it back on.

Look for a GFI outlet somewhere near to the girls room such as in a bathroom. If you find one mash the reset button and see if that solves the problem. GFI's can be hid behind furniture or almost anything. They are required to be in bathrooms, kitchens, outside and in basements.

If that does not solve the problem, turn the circuit off and start removing the outlets one by one and check for loose wires on the outlets.

[This message has been edited by R. L. Boatright (edited September 16, 2000).]

Old 09-17-00, 09:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some electricians in their wiring design run receptacles in one bedroom to another bedroom or other room. They do this so that not all the electrical fails in that room at the same time. I agree with resetting the breakers. May be a circuit sharing two rooms.

If that fails to solve problem most likely the problem will be a wire not making connection in a nearby outlet. Just don't forget to look at the receptacle on the other side of the wall of the dead outlets. The circuit may be bouncing from room to room in the circuit design.

Also, remember that the loose connection would most likely be either in the first receptacle that is dead or the last receptacle that is live before the power gets to the dead receptacles.

You might take a voltage tester and touch one prong of the tester to the hot in the dead receptacles and the other to the bare grounding conductor in the receptacle. This would tell you whether you have a loose connection in the hot [black] or white [grounded] wire in the circuit. At least then you should know what color you should be paying most attention to for a loose connection.

Good Luck

Wg