repair touch lamp


Old 09-16-00, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Red face

lamp was touched by static elec. blinked, and now it won't work.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-00, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down


I had the same problem with a touch lamp.

Based solely on my own experience, I doubt it can be fixed. I couldn't locate the replacement electrical part. And even if I had, I doubt it would have been worth the time. Except maybe for a learning experience.

What I was able to do is convert the lamp to a standard one by replacing the bulb socket.

Good Luck,
Old 09-17-00, 09:21 AM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A touch type lamp is turned on and off with an electronic switch sensing the continuity of your body.

This electronic switch is usually in the form of a miniture circuit board found either in the body of your lamp or the light socket.

If you carry a large enough charge of static electricity in your body and you touch that lamp then this minimuture circuit board can burn out.

The previous reply suggested that it most likely will not be worth the cost to replace the electronic sensor switch board. I agree.

Changing the light socket to one with a switch on it and running the lamp cord to that light socket bypassing any circuit boards will repair the fixture but negate the touch capibility.

Might be you best shot.

Good Luck

Old 09-17-00, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

If you would like, you could replace the control unit.
I have seen the control units sold as a DIY project to add to an ordinary lamp. You will not find them in an ordinary local hardware store most likely. Larger hardware stores like Sears Hardware might have this. Ask in an electrical supply. Expect to pay at least $20.
I still have to agree with everybody else, even though the part is available (also check online)-it is better to replace the wiring in the lamp and either install a ordinary medium base socket for an A19 bulb, or install a cord switch.
I reccomend the cord switch if practacal.
(I know many of the touch lamps have candlier type bulbs. Im not sure that you would want to try attemting to drill a 3/8" hole in the base of the lamp to install a miniture switch with a push button or knob.)
If this option is chosen, use the heavy duty kind with a rocker switch. The cheap kind with a thumb wheel is a fire hazard-the most commonly seen kind too.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: