Replace standard lightbulb with flourescent light

Old 08-21-02, 06:37 PM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
Question Replace standard lightbulb with flourescent light

Over my workbench, I would like to replace the standard, dim screw-in lightbulb with a row of flourescent work lights...is this easy enough to do? Wiring all compatible? Can I just drop into the mega hardware and pick up the lights and install relatively easily? thanks and great forum!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-02, 07:33 PM
Master Electrician
Re:

How and where do you have in mind of installing them in relation to the fixture you are replacing? Give us some ideal or some type of visual picture for us to relate to, and I'm sure we can help with properly installing them. Should be simple.

Old 08-21-02, 07:57 PM
BSB
Its pretty simple cut and dry. If you go with "shop" lights, (2 4' bulbs with 8" pig tail) you can cut the power to the light fixture, remove the fixture and install an outlet in its place and then just plug in the light(s). turn the power back on and your good to go.

If you want to install the bigger units (4 4' bulbs) then cut the power, remove the fixture and replace with a cover. then run the wiring to the new unit. You may have to open another punch out on the box and secure the wire with proper retaining clamp and you should be good to go. Make sure you properly hang/attach the new fixture, you don't want it coming down on your head.

Brian