Electric dyrer

Old 09-18-00, 07:19 AM
Visiting Guest
I had new tenants move into one of our
apartments. They called and said that the
circuit kept tripping when they ran their newer electric dryer and would I have an electrician come. My husband and I were
puzzled by this in the fact that the prior
two tenants had no problems with their dryers. I suggested that they have dryer checked first because it had been in storage for over a year. They had a relative
(an electrician)look at the problem. He
told them to change the circuit breaker from a 20 amp to a 30 amp and he told them how to
do it. Now my question - is it safe to have
a 30 amp circuit on 12/2 wire? They're happy,
the dryer now runs. I just don't want a fire. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-00, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
NO, it's not safe!

Insist that they change the breaker back immediately, or upgrade your fire insurance.

Old 09-18-00, 08:42 AM
Visiting Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
NO, it's not safe!

Insist that they change the breaker back immediately, or upgrade your fire insurance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, any idea why the other tenants dryers would run on the 20 amp circuit and
this new one doesn't? Not sure if I have
electical or dryer problem.
run on the 20 amp service and

Old 09-18-00, 10:56 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't know much about dryers, but I would have to guess that your old tenants ran a 20-amp dryer, and that your new tenants have a higher power 30-amp dryer.

You're going to have to make a choice. Tell your tenants that they must find a 20-amp dryer, or upgrade the wiring to support 30 amps.

Old 09-18-00, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey

Dryers are rated 30 amps for 220 volt electric dryers. The advise is right DO NOT INSTALL A 30 AMP BREAKER ON 12 GA WIRE.

Now if you had renters in there that ran a dryer successfully then you either had a renter put in a larger breaker without telling you and changed it back when they moved, or they had to have used a gas dryer, or an apartment sized 110 volt dryer.

I advise that you have a electrician check your branch circuit feeding the dryer and confirm if it is 12 ga. If it is install a 10 ga. 3 wire [black,white,red, bare] romex and install it on a 4 prong plug and install a 30 amp 240 breaker in the panel for the 10 ga. wire.

Repeat the previous post is right you have a fire trap if you have a 30 amp breaker on a 12 ga 20 amp rated wire. Correct immediately for everyones safety.

Good Luck

Wg