Electricity to Yard Light


Old 09-19-00, 07:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

While digging a flower bed, I cut through the cable going from the electrical box to the yard lamp. Can this be repaired without digging up the entire cable going to the lamp? If so, please advise. Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-00, 10:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

First of all, cut the power to that circuit (in a circuit breaker or fuse box)

Then, peel the insulation from the damaged cables and twist both ends together

Finally, use standard electrical tape to isolate the connection(s); followed by several turns of vulcanised electrical tape (to make the junction water proof); and some turns of standard electrical tape at the end.

Be generous with the amount of tape

Good Luck
Old 09-19-00, 03:38 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

First I advise you to shut power off until made safe.

I want to state that underground junctions are notorious for leakage of electricity that you have the pleasure to pay for except when the junctions are before the meterbase. I advise you to do it proper and make a junction on the side of the dwelling. Then run a new uf cable from that junction to the light fixture. This will ensure you don't have loss of electricity cost due to a leaking underground junction.

That said. You can junction underground, only with UL approved equipment designed for the purpose. You can go to your electrical wholesale supply house and get an underground splice kit for 12 ga UF cable. YOu will most likely need two one to connect to the first end to a short uf cable used as an extension. Then you use the second splice kit to connect the other end of the extension to the remianing end of the damaged cable. This splice kit will have a lug in it to make the connection, then a tube the this lug slides into. Then depending on the type you may have to heat shrink the wrap or you may have to just stretch the rubber wrap to slide over the whole connection then use a thick rubber insulation tape on both ends where the wire leaves the splice, then wrap with electrical tape. Some of these kits also have an epoxy fill that you have to squirt in first.

Just buy an underground splice kit, then read and follow the instructions.

Good LUck


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: