GFI at control panel


Old 09-18-00, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks for the info. it helps just to hear someone else say(or write) what your thinking. Even though I may not want to hear it.

BUT...what do you mean by:

"It is ok to replace the old receptacles in the bedrooms, living rooms, and other living areas where the load is light and protect these circuits with GFI controls at the panel or start of those circuits. Then you can replace the receptacles in those rooms with normal three prong receptacles and have the Gfi act as the third conductor."

How do I install GFI controls at the panel or start of the circuits? I havn't read anything about that, maybe I just haven't read enough yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-00, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

"At the panel" means install a GFCI breaker. Most people do not do this because these breakers are expensive. They are most often used for circuits that go directly outdoors from the panel.

"At the start of the circuit" simply means putting a GFCI outlet in the first outlet on the circuit.
Old 09-19-00, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

To add to John Nelson's reply, receptacles on the same circuit are usually "daisy-chained". If the first one in the chain is a GFI, and you wire from the breaker panel into it and back out & on to the next receptacle in the chain, that next one and any after it are protected by the first one. Hope that makes it just a bit more clear.

Old 09-19-00, 02:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

You could maybe also install an outlet box at
or near the panel, run the circuit to be protected to the box, and from the box to the
panel. You will then install a GFI receptical, or stand-alone GFI unit (like
a GFI receptical, but no outlet holes, just
Test and Reset buttons) in the box.
Old 09-19-00, 04:52 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was the one that wrote what was quoted.

The previous replies did not get the whole picture of the situation that I was talking on.

The question was replacing two prong recepatcles on a two wire system with three prong receptacles, etc.

If you read between the line this house is the older style wiring design. This is the type of house that was usually wired to the light fixture in the room and then branched out like an octapus to the receptacles. This wiring design prohibits a Gfi receptacle being place on the first receptacle. There is no first receptacle.

I suggested placing the GFI at the panel. What I meant is what was posted previously. He hit it close. Just cut in a box, or even mount a surface mounted deep box below the panel. Then run a black from the fuse or breaker in the panel, a white and bare from the neutral bar to the line side of the GFI receptacle mounted below the panel for each circuit needing protected. Then run a black, white and bare from the load side of the GFI receptacle mounted under the panel and connect directly to the black, white and bare of the branch circuit. This protects the whole circuit and allows all two prong receptacles on that circuit to be replaced by a new three prong receptacle.

Hope this clears up the confusion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: