4 way switch

Old 09-19-00, 04:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Can someone tell me how to wire a light that will be controlled by three different switches? I know how to wire a light to two switches using 12/3 wire but I don't know how to wire to three.

Old 09-19-00, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you know how to wire a three way switch using 12/3 or 14/3 between the two three way switches, then it is easy to explain.

Just remove the 12 or 14 / 3 cable from betwen the two three way switches and run a 12 or 14 / 3 cable from the first three way switch to an added box for the four way switch then again run a 12 or 14 /3 cable to the second three ways switch.
NOw wire nut the grouned conductor so that it runs through from the power source to the light fixture extended by a wire nut in each switch box.
Now wire the first three way switch with the black of the power to the common screw of the switch and connect the red and black of the 3 wire cable to the other to screws as travelers. Do the same at the other three way switch connecting the black of the light fixture leg to the common and the black and red of the 3 wire cable to the other two screws as travelers.

NOw at the four way switch in the middle you have already extended the white through that box from the first three way through this box to the second three way. Now all you have left is the two reds and two blacks of the 3 wire cables coming from the two three way switches. Connect the red and black of one cable to the set of two screws that match in color and connect the other black and red from the other cable to the other two screws that match in color. YOu got it.

All you are doing is cutting the 3 wire cable going between the two three way switches and installing the 4 way switch connecting to the reds and black travelers connected to the two three way switches.

HOpe this helps

Wg

Old 09-19-00, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Is wg good, or what?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: