garage wiring

Old 09-21-00, 10:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Currently my detatched garage is fed with the old three separate wires overhead from the house. In changing a light switch, I noticed that one of the wires is wet, thus has a leak. I want to replace the wiring, overhead if possible, but will go with underground if the only/best way. The line does not go to a sub box in the garage, but is 20a/120v circuit off the house box. What wire would I use? (I've read wgoodrich response to f. vallone, similiar subject).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-00, 03:33 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ronnie,
if memory servs me correctly u can run overhead useing #10 uf wire. i persionly dont like this practice i pefer underground instalitions, since there is much less chance of damage. by going underground u could run smaller wire #12 eather in conduit, or uf.

Old 09-21-00, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Sparky says is ok as long as you are only spanning about 10'. It would fit in the festoon wiring design.

If you are spanning over 10' then you must use an overhead wire called and aluminum duplex conductor, much like what everyone call triplex and what goes through the air from the utility company to most service risers only with a bare wire that has an inner steel strand to support the overhead span and a black wire to carry the hot. This dulex wire should be supported off of porcelain knobs screwed into the two structurs and with what the call triplex hangers which grip the duplex wire and loops through the knobs. Make sure to create a droop leg so water sheds off the wire instead of following the wire into the sturcture. The minimum hieght is 10' withou vehicular traffic and 12 feet with or 18' over street or alleys.

Hope this helps

Wg