Replace Rocker Switch in Mobile Home

Old 09-25-00, 06:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I bought a lighted rocker switch at the hardware store to replace the one in my hallway in my new mobile home so that I can see to get down the hall at night. I took out the one in the wall and it was a switch in a sealed box with the wiring going in one side and out the other. Can this be replaced with a conventional rocker switch? If so how? Thanks!

Old 09-25-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

There should be three wires on the switch, bare, and two insulated.
This is a simple exchange of switches if this is true.
If there are three wires, any combination of black, red, and white, one of them shold be on a black or copper colored terminal instaed of brass. Thsi is a three-way switch. THe rocker switch will need to be a three-way in this case.
Keep the wiring pattern the same.
Respond with details if you have further questions that any instructions that came with the switch do not expalin.

gj

Old 09-25-00, 08:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. In mobile homes it is common wiring design to use a switch called a uniswitch. The box that we normally use is incorporated into the switch itself. If this is what you have then when you took out your switch you now don't have a box.

This is ok, Just get a remodle box with a skinny design. Shallow as possible and install the wires in the box, then install the box in the wall drywall style, then wire you new switch as it was originally wired.

Hope I hit what you are experiencing

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: