Main Service

Old 09-25-00, 07:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Our new house has dimming problems when anything comes on in the house....yes even the t.v. causes the lights to dim when it is turned on. We are about 200 - 240 feet from the transformer using underground cable. All the other houses in the neighborhood that are these distances from the transformer have the larger 2 TW wire while our house has the smaller 4 TW wire. I may have these mixed up, but we have the smaller of the two. The electric company has run a 1 wek test and say the voltage nevers drops below limits. Even if this is so, does the smaller wiring present a problem even though it appears that it is within limts. If this wireing doesn't cause a problem, then why even run it when the distance is 200 feet or over from the transformer. They also told me that being undergroud, it looses less voltage. Help...I'm confused. I measuring on of the circuits in the kitchen which has the microwave on it and it drops about 4 volts from 120.4 when the microwave comes on.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-00, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suspect that your utility company was measuring at the meter or panel. 250' is a normal acceptable distance for the utility company to run their feeders. You should be fine there.

I suggest that you open your panel and look for any wires that seem to be heating. Bubbling of the insulation near the connections, either in the neutral bar, breakers, or at the main feeders where they come in. If all seems fine then look for a branch circuit with a loose connection.

Do some research and check to see if dimming in experienced through out the house of centered in specific location in dwelling.

If through out the house problem most likely in the panel.

If localized on a circuit then problem most likely in that circuit.

Just start eliminating from the panel out to the end of circuit.

Good Luck

WG