eliminate 3-way switch

Old 09-25-00, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Becauise of some remodeling, I need to remove a 3-way switch and replace it with a simple on/off switch. What is the easiest way, with a minimum of new wire runs, to do this. THANKS

Old 09-25-00, 12:39 PM
Visiting Guest
What are you doing with the other three way switch?

The advice below is based on many assumptions, which may or may not be true for your situation. Take out the 3-way switch. Attach the two black wires to the new 2-way switch. Cap the red wire. Go to the other 3-way switch. Remove the switch. Attach the two black wires to each other. Cap the red wire. Put a plate over the box (leave it accessible).

This is probably the wrong answer, but it's the best I can do having to guess at what you're trying to accomplish.

Old 09-26-00, 04:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. An important input I forgot to provide is I plan to completely eliminate one of the 3-way switch locations. The wall where this switch is located will be removed to enlarge the room. I'm sure that complicates the solution.

Old 09-26-00, 06:39 AM
Visiting Guest
You first need to figure out how it's wired now. Let's assume that it's:

Power->switch1->switch2->light

This assumption is only valid if you have no white wire connected to either switch (i.e., you have a 14/2 cable and a 14/3 cable coming into both switches).

A key question is whether the switch you want to keep is switch1 or switch2. You can find out with a voltmeter. Disconnect the 14/2 black wire from the switch you want to keep (with the circuit breaker off obviously). Turn the breaker back on and find out if there is power on this wire. If so, then you have "switch1". If not, then you have "switch2".

If you have "switch1", run an extra 14/2 from the switch to the light. If you have "switch2" run an extra 14/2 from some other continuous power source to the switch.

Need more help?

[This message has been edited by John Nelson (edited September 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Nelson (edited September 26, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: