touch curio cabinet light

Old 09-24-00, 11:47 AM
Visiting Guest
My curio cabinet has a light that comes on when touching a panel at the back corner. the light can be different degrees of illumination, depending on how many times the panel is touched. However, the light has quit working, I've changed bulbs, I think the touch panel is out of sorts. How can I repair this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-00, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Does the light come on at all, or will it turn on the lower setting and then not work at all?? How old is the cabinet? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelenM:
My curio cabinet has a light that comes on when touching a panel at the back corner. the light can be different degrees of illumination, depending on how many times the panel is touched. However, the light has quit working, I've changed bulbs, I think the touch panel is out of sorts. How can I repair this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 09-25-00, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Dave, Thank you for your reply. The cabinet is about 4 years old, the light does not come on at all. Nothing happens when the panel is touched. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Old 09-26-00, 10:55 AM
Visiting Guest
It sounds to me like one of those touch sensitive dimmer switches. It could be that the dimmer has just gone bad. I would try to see if you can get the dimmer switch out and temporarily replace it with a regular switch. Unplug the cabinet from the power before taking things apart. You could even just join the wire directly with wire nuts to verify that the dimmer is bad. You can get a touch sensitive dimmer at a hardware store. You might have to search to find an exact replacement.

Hmm, one other thought, this isn't a low voltage light is it? If so, the dimmer may be a different type than you can find easily.

Old 09-26-00, 03:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Try plugging something else into the receptacle that the cabinet plugs in to, just to be sure you have power going to it. You said you changed the bulb, but i would change it again to eliminate the possibility of a bad bulb straight out of the box, and this can happen. If you have power to the receptacle, and the light still doesn't work, try unplugging the cabinet, and if you have a metal touchplate similar to a touch lamp (brass), use a metal polish on it to remove any tarnish. I've seen brass touch lamps quit working due to this. If all fails, let me know, and we'll go from there.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelenM:
Dave, Thank you for your reply. The cabinet is about 4 years old, the light does not come on at all. Nothing happens when the panel is touched. Do you have any suggestions for me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>