Wiring - Replaced one way light switch - problem

Old 08-27-02, 01:13 PM
jcvilla75
Visiting Guest

Hello, I have a house with 1930s wiring, just replaced some old wires to a light switch and it worked fine - after 2 days it went out and no power for some reason but then came back! Then it worked fine for 5 days and last night went out again as I was sheetrocking around the area, and there is now no power from the circuit to the wires and switch (checked with a tester) ...I'm confused...my new wiring I think was pretty thorough..

I put in modern sheath wirign with a a black pos and white pos and a ground fyi...

Also, a light that this circuit goes out to (*garden light) is now out too.

Would be very grateful for any insight...I guess I'll get back in the attic and look at my wiring but I swear it was fine...

Thanks so much, John.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-02, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many outlets are affected-only the 2 you mentioned?---You state---"replaced some old wires to a switch"---is this 1 or 2 new cables to the switch???

Old 08-27-02, 02:53 PM
jcvilla75
Visiting Guest

Thx fr response...

No outlets at all just a light fixture in the room and a light outside the back door...

I replaced 2 cables...and put my new black/white sheath where they had been - as they were so old I could not tell whether black or white...

so I now have my new wiring connected on the attic and coming from the attic down the stud to my wall switch currently - if that helps...

basically there is now no juice to this new wire I put in...even if I switch the mains on and off...pls note that it did work - as I had it - for several days too...

Old 08-28-02, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You state " I replaced 2 cables" and "there is no juice to this new wire (one cable or two?) I put in" ----Please describe how you ran the new cables between the existing switch/fixture outlet boxes.----Thanks---