sos: dim bulbs in new ceiling fixture

Old 09-27-00, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I originally had two single bulb ceramic fixtures in the ceiling downstairs. There is one switch to turn them both on. I installed a new fixture. I now have dim lighting in all 60 watt bulbs. When I had mix wattage bulbs before one was bright and the others dim. The bulb I didn't even touch on the other side of the room is even dim. I put two black wires from the new fixture to the two black wires from the ceiling. I put whites with whites and ground with groung. Why are the bulbs dim. The watt requirement in the new fixture is 60 watts. Thanks to anyone who can help. :0)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-00, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Answer some questions first:

(1) Was the original wiring for these lights done by a professional electrician, and has anybody messed with it since?
(2) Did you add a third fixture to the two that were there, or did you simply replace one of the two with another?
(3) What was the wattage of the fixture you added (and the wattage of the one you replaced, if you replaced one)?

My guess is that this wiring was wrong before, but not as noticeable until you added a higher wattage fixture. My guess is that these two fixtures were always wired in series (wrong) instead of in parallel (correct).

But I admit I'm making a lot of guesses here, since much of the detail is missing. Come back to us with more of the story.

Old 09-27-00, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dim. The bulb I didn't even touch on the other side of the room is even dim. I put two black wires from the new fixture to the two black wires from the ceiling. I put whites with whites and ground with groung. Why are the bulbs dim. The watt requirement in the new fixture is 60 watts. Thanks to anyone who can help. :0)

I think John Nelson is on the right track about the series wiring. The charicteristics suggest that.

I wonder if you're statement the the existing bulbs on the other side of the room leads me to believe that you mixed up the wiring connections and created the series wiring that John Nelson is recognizing.

Disconnect all wires from the fixture asap for safety. Then energize and test to locate the hot wire then trace it back to the sheath and find the white wire paired with it in the same sheath. Now shut off power and put a continuity tester bettween the remaining two sets of black and white one set at a time. Turn the switch on and off and locate the switch leg [black and white that is connected to the switch]. Now connect the hot black to the switch leg white and the switch leg white to the other two blacks one wire going to the other fixture and the other the fixture wire black. Then connect all whites together under the same wire nut except the switch leg white already wirenutted to the hot black. This should correct your problem.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 09-28-00, 12:42 PM
Visiting Guest
From what I take it, the lamps have two
black wires, and you are breaking the black wires in the box, and connecting each of the
black wires on the lamp, to each of the black
wire in the box, therefore running the
lights in series.

You should connect one of the lamp wires to
both black wires in the box, and the other
(the one that connects to the shell of the
socket), to the white wires in the box.