Fishing Wire

Old 09-28-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a new house that I had DSL internet access installed into the basement. I am wanting to run Cat-5 (network) cable to the living room one floor above (but not directly above). What is the best way to fish wire from one floor to the next without damaging the walls too bad? How do you get through the sill plates? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andre T

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-00, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Drill a hole right beside the baseboard,
an run your wire through the hole. If you
want to run it up the wall somehow, drill a
smaller hole beside the baseboard, stick a small wire down it, go to your basement and
drill up beside it enough to get into the wall cavity.

Old 09-29-00, 03:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

The method for running wire up to the living room is OK, but what was not addressed was about the wall damage.
Keep in mind for wall studs.
Install a plastic wall box with ears for the network connection. Cut the opening in the wall the size of the box, tighten the screws on the ears after inserting the wire into the box and pushing the box into the opening.
Leave some slack in the wire in the wall and coil some in the back of the box- no more than 1ft extra in the box.
A recomendation for the jack is I prefer to use Leviton's interchangable jacks that fit into coverpaltes with ports. Home Depot sells these along with electrical suppliers.

gj