CEILING FAN STOPPED

Old 09-30-00, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Recently, the fan/light for our stair landing going from the 1st to the 2nd floor stopped. In checking the electrical current for the switches controlling the fan/light, the current is hot going to the downstairs and upstairs switches but no current going to the box for the fan/light.

The circuit breaker is fine. The same circuit controls the outlets in our bedroom, that are all fine. I tested the outlets.

What could possibly be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 04:14 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have power at the 3 way switches, but not at the junction box, I would verify that both three-way switchs are indeed functional.

I would also verify that the neutral (white in most installations) connection is good.

Old 09-30-00, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Assuming your analysis activities were correct, I only see a two normal possibilities:

(1) One of the switches went bad.
(2) One of the connections came loose.

Using the same tester you used before (whatever that way), you should be able to verify the switches. If those are both good, then check/tighten the connections. If these activities all fail, come back and report. We'll then analyze other more remote possibilities:

(3) The wire/connections failed somewhere else, other than at the switch and ceiling boxes.
(4) Somebody rewired this when you weren't looking.
(5) Your analysis procedures or test equipment is flawed.