dimmer switch controls 2 lights

Old 09-30-00, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i am replacing a regular swith with a dimmer swith. there is only one swith so i got a single-pole dimmer swith. my dimmer swith has two wires comming out the back of it plus a green gound wire. however the switch i am replacing has two black wires going into the back a ground wire and another black wire going into a screw on the side. i bevieve this wire powers an addition light. how do i hook up this third black wire? so i think i have one swith controling two lights. do i need a different switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
If only one light was affected by this switch when you turned it on, most likely the person that wired it was simply using the switch as a junction point.

Even if there is a second light fixture in the mix, as long as your total wattage does not exceed the dimmer's rating, you are fine.

If the wire is in the top screw, simply wire nut it together with the other wire at the top switch quick connect, and one of the dimmer wires. Then nut together the remaining single wire and other wire on the dimmer.

Just keep the ones that are together electrically, together, and you will be ok.

Old 09-30-00, 06:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

actually the third black wire was on the bottom screw. does this make a differance?

and so what u are saying is i will have the following conections:

1. Connect ground wires (dimmer - wall)

2. Connect two black wires (dimmer - wall)

3. Connect three black wires (dimmer - wall - wall)

Correct?

Thanks for your help.