grounding of EMT

Old 09-25-00, 07:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I know all about how to wire things with much detail and advice but on equestion has come up that I have been told and read different answers to.
Does a ground wire (green) need to be run in EMT going between boxes.
This is a holdup in completing several projects with EMT.
!!
O

gj

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-00, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
ok here we go and i stand to be corrected as i do not have the code book in front of me.
Unless the local AHJ has something then no you do not have to run a ground wire,but if you do run a ground wire then each box it passes through has to be pigtailed to the ground wire .Now if you are running flex or liquidtight then a ground wire must be run in the flex or liquidtight. I myself always run a ground wire for any type of circuit weather it be for an outlet or equipment,and any plant that I have control over there is not a run of any kind made without a ground to me it is a cheap safe investment.I do not allow multi wire circuits either. Run the ground wire you'll sleep better at night

Old 09-25-00, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Emt is accepted by the NEC as a grounding path for equipment grounding, not as a current carrying conductor such as a grounded white or neutral white. Emt can replace the green or bare wire.

NOw there is a couple of exceptions one in particular is in hospitals, etc. In health care facilities we are required a double grounding system called repetitive grounding.

Also, I suspect this conduit as a grounding path will a be negated in the near future. We have several factions that are calculating the conductivity and ampacity of conduit as used for short circuit or fault current. I suspect that in the next 2 or 3 Code changes the Code Committees will change their stance and inpliment a chart requiring a limit on using conduit as a grounding path. This is being spread through out the nation with the same termoil as the alumininum wiring discussion that has lasted for years and still unsolved to everyones satisfaction. When it comes to conduit the NEC says yes as a grounding path as of the current Code. Just hold on to your britches for future discussions, they are heating up now.

Hope this helps

I have watched your replies and my respect for you is growing as to your knowlege

Keep in there

Wg

Old 10-01-00, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thank you wgoodrich!