1 light on two switches

Old 09-30-00, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i have one fixture on two switches ( one at each entrance). i recently repositioned the box and forgot how it was hooked up. just wondering on how these should be properly wired?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
What you have are a pair of three-way switches. What color and quantity are the wires coming into and leaving the switch box??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wiring trouble:
i have one fixture on two switches ( one at each entrance). i recently repositioned the box and forgot how it was hooked up. just wondering on how these should be properly wired?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 09-30-00, 02:59 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave S.:
What you have are a pair of three-way switches. What color and quantity are the wires coming into and leaving the switch box??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>2 sets of old black wiring (each having a black,red and white)- the fixture has two wires- 1-white 2 - white with black stripe

Old 09-30-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
You repositioned the switch box? Or you repositioned the light box? Which box are you trying to re-hook up?

If you're rewiring the light, life is pretty simple. Two wires connect to two wires. Connect white to white.

If you're rewiring the switch, you've got one too many wires, so some investigation may be required. I don't know what that extra red wire is. Possibly whoever wired this used 14/3 instead of 14/2 to supply the power because he happened to have 14/3 in his hand. I'm sure you all are tired of me recommending investment in a multimeter. I'm reluctant to guess, for fear of being responsible for burning your house down.

One more thing: are you sure there aren't *three* switches controlling this light? That would explain the extra red wire. How many screws are on the switch, and what colors are they.

Old 10-01-00, 05:22 AM
Visiting Guest
it is at the light box that i am having problems. to simplify, i have 2 black, 2red, and 2 white coming into the light box.
i have tried connecting black2black, red2red
and white2white. i tried connecting one wire form the light fixture to the red and the other to the white but i keep blowing a fuse. should i be going black2red, black2red
white2white? if so where do i connect the fixture to?

Old 10-01-00, 06:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Oh, now I see.

Connect black to black. Connect red to red. Connect the light to the two whites. You'll need to figure out which white wire is hot. You can do this in one of two ways: (1) if one of the white wires is taped black, then that one is hot. (2) use a voltage tester -- with one switch on and one switch off, one of these two white wires will be hot.

Connect whichever white wire is hot to the light's black wire, and connect the other white wire to the light's white wire. If the hot white wasn't already taped black, do so now.

Caution: This advice is based on "normal" wiring. Your wiring may not be "normal". So if this doesn't work, come back and tell us. Actually, come back and tell us if this does work too.