Adding another receptical

Old 09-30-00, 05:00 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a house built in 1985. I have an attached storage closet that I want to add a receptical to. I want to tie into a receptical in the shared wall but both are middle of the run. They have a line going in and one going out. Can I still tie into one of them? If so, do I do black to black or white to black? I don't have an end of the run receptical near by to tie into.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-00, 05:39 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TazzyShedevil:
I have a house built in 1985. I have an attached storage closet that I want to add a receptical to. I want to tie into a receptical in the shared wall but both are middle of the run. They have a line going in and one going out. Can I still tie into one of them? If so, do I do black to black or white to black? I don't have an end of the run receptical near by to tie into. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you should be able to connect another receptacle to the one in the middle of the run in the shared wall. Set your new electrical box, and pigtail all three wires(twist wires together and wirenut tightly). Connect black (hot) to black and brass screws on receptacles, white (neutral) to white and to silver screws, and bare (ground) to green screws (and attach to green screw on boxes, if metal).
I'm not an electrician, and if you have any questions, just come back in here and one the pros will be glad to help you. Good Luck!

Old 09-30-00, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldGuy:
Yes, you should be able to connect another receptacle to the one in the middle of the run in the shared wall. Set your new electrical box, and pigtail all three wires(twist wires together and wirenut tightly). Connect black (hot) to black and brass screws on receptacles, white (neutral) to white and to silver screws, and bare (ground) to green screws (and attach to green screw on boxes, if metal).
I'm not an electrician, and if you have any questions, just come back in here and one the pros will be glad to help you. Good Luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...Thats what I needed to know. I know enough to be dangerous.

Old 10-03-00, 10:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Old Guy's right. I'm glad he advised "pigtailing". See my reply to "Adding Wiring" from netanjels for some wiring tips that fit your situation, as well as an idea for the new wall box. Just ignore the bit about light fixtures & switches.)

JH