Do they make?

Old 08-31-02, 08:10 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do they make?

Here the story. wall up, drywalls up, electrical rough in, approved. One wall has a wood stove on it with a electrical recp on each side of stove about four feet away. ( 4 feet is not problem) area behind wall was schedule to be 12 inch tile. Now the woMAN of the house wants to brick from corner to corner, including the outlets. so I now have about five inches added to these boxes. i got enough wire and pigtail but question:

Do they make a 4-5 inch box extender?

Is it legal to stack more than one box extender?

Can I add a metal extender to a plastic box and be legal?

Will I have to ground the metal extender to be legal?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-02, 08:32 PM
S
This is going to be for a code guy I spose,,, one of the inspectors,, but dont know why you couldnt extend,,, I think I might be tempted to get artsy and recess the repepcts,, that would be cool too.

Old 09-01-02, 05:52 AM
W
You can stack the extensions, but play it safe and talk to your inspector. They may have a different point of view.I've gotten into drawn out discussions with our local inspector over "codes" and he will say" Sure, it's in the code book that you can do it this way, but town ordinance says you can't. Good luck!

Old 09-02-02, 12:16 PM
T
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Why not cut the sheetrock,remove the wiring from the boxes and put them in mason boxes and let the bricklayers set them?

Old 09-02-02, 07:43 PM
W
Wirenut33
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by texsparky
Why not cut the sheetrock,remove the wiring from the boxes and put them in mason boxes and let the bricklayers set them?

texsparky hit it right on the head. Check with your inspector to see what type of boxes you may use for this, but i know in most locales, a standard PVC zip box can be used for this. Just remove the nails, insert the wire into the boxes, and the bricklayers will do the rest.

Old 09-03-02, 06:46 AM
P
I suggest you use single-gang metal "masonary" outlet boxes.Bring the cables in the back of the box and let the boxes "float" so the mason can set the boxes flush with the surface of the brick finish. The exterior corners of this box are square which gives a neat fit into masonary. The bare Grounding wires must be bonded to the metal of the box.---Good Luck!!!

Old 09-03-02, 06:49 PM
B
Good idea but, my mason who is really, really good is the only 55 year old man that sufferes from PMS. If everything is just not perfect you hear about it for days. and if he complaint, price goes up.

So I just wanted to point at the wall and say " brick it" but he is real good

Old 09-04-02, 01:20 PM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
if you use mason boxes he can brick around it. a mason box is as big as a brick and as wide as 1/2 a brick. Lay it on the side and all he has to do is cut a brick in half. If he is a bricklayer,he has done it millions of times. this is the best option. Take it or leave it!