Garbage disposer shocking

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-04-00, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation

We are having a serious problem with our garbage disposer. Our plumber installed it over a year ago and wired a nearby plug in outlet with the switch to operate the disposer. This has worked fine until about the last 2 weeks. I have been shocked a number of times when using the disposer. Not when turning it on, the shocks have occured when it is not on, but when I touch the faucet or sink or when I have my hands in the water. I even touched the unit when I was getting something out from under the sink and got a shock. It does not happen every time I use the sink, but is happening alot. Before calling an
electrician, I was hoping someone might have some insight into what is causing this problem. I should also mention our home was built in 1971 (we purchased it 2 years ago) and the outlets are not grounded. Thanks.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-04-00, 05:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

Unplug the garbage disposer except when actually using it. See if the shocks ever occur when the disposer is unplugged. This should implicate or vindicate the disposer.

If the shocks are the fault of the disposer, I suggest you just go buy a new disposer.
 
  #3  
Old 10-04-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

My suggestion would be to call an electrician A.S.A.P, and have him check the connections to the disposal, and also install a receptacle with the proper grounding means. I've said it before, and i'll say it again....PLUMBERS ARE NOT ELECTRICIANS!!!!! I've personally replaced wiring for disposals that was incorrectly wired. Normally what the plumber will do in the case of an existing two-wire receptacle is to cut the grounding prong off the cord. An improperly grounded or ungrounded appliance can kill you. The best thing you can do is not to use it until the wiring is checked and the appropriate changes made.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GLW:
We are having a serious problem with our garbage disposer. Our plumber installed it over a year ago and wired a nearby plug in outlet with the switch to operate the disposer. This has worked fine until about the last 2 weeks. I have been shocked a number of times when using the disposer. Not when turning it on, the shocks have occured when it is not on, but when I touch the faucet or sink or when I have my hands in the water. I even touched the unit when I was getting something out from under the sink and got a shock. It does not happen every time I use the sink, but is happening alot. Before calling an
electrician, I was hoping someone might have some insight into what is causing this problem. I should also mention our home was built in 1971 (we purchased it 2 years ago) and the outlets are not grounded. Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

 
  #4  
Old 10-04-00, 08:50 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post

TURN OFF THE POWER TO THIS DISPOSAL EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO SHUT OTHER THINGS OFF! DO NOT ENERGIZE THIS DISPOSAL UNTIL YOU KNOW THE SHOCK HAZARD IS FIXED.

THE SHOCK YOU ARE EXPERIENCING CHANGES IN LEVELS DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF A GROUNDING PATH YOU ARE MAKING TO COMPLETE THE ENERGY'S CIRCUIT THROUGH YOUR BODY.

THIS IS A LIFE SAFETY ISSUE.

Now that said emphatically, I question whether the shock is coming from you disposal or your plumbing. This is why metal plumbing should be bonded to the grounding of the panel to tell the panel there is a short. If you have plastic plumbing I suspect the disposal is the problem. I suspect that your bare wire is not connected to the frame of the disposal. I also suspect that you disposal seal is leaking allowing water into the disposal. This is the most common cause of leakage of current to the plumbing.

If you disconnect your disposal and still experience the shock then the plumbing in your whole house can be energized. When a person steps out of a bath tub and touches the metal faucet of the lav at the same time that person stand a good chance to be killed.

Call an electrician and declare a life safety issue due to electrical shock hazard. Please do not mix water with electricity. The results are to wild, unpredictable, and deadly to take the chance.

BE CAREFUL

Wg
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: