Need to convert hardwired stove to 220 plug.

Old 10-04-00, 10:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am replacing an old one-piece, double oven electric stove combination with a new, smooth top range and over-the-counter microwave-hood combo. My old stove was hardwired directly from the wall. I want to install a 220 outlet for the range and a 120 outlet for the microwave. What steps are required, what should I buy, and what pitfalls should I look out for? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-00, 05:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A free standing range usually has an H design in the back of your range. If you jbox lands in the cavity part of the back of your range, then just put an adapter plate on the box to accept the single oultet and install a recessed three prong range plug into box. You also could remove the box if it is surface mount and install a surface mount three wire range plug. You are allowed to install a three wire plug in existing range circuits.

Your microwave hood combo should be fed with a new 12/2 romex from the panel and you should mount the receptacle in a cabinet above the microwave hood combo if possible. The microwave hood combo will most likely come with an appliance cord that you just run through the bottom of the cabinet in a space above the hood combo but below the bottom of the cabinet. The cord is normally totally hidden and the plug is accessible if installed in the cabinet above the hood.

Hope this helps

Wg