Height of Service Panel

Old 09-04-02, 09:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Height of Service Panel

Is there a code for height of a service panel?

Thanks,

abkent

Old 09-05-02, 07:26 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Article 230.70 states that the service equipment must be readily accessible. It has been my experience that a good mounting height is to make sure that the top breaker or fuse in the disconnectin means be mounted no higher than 5 1/2 feet above the ground. As for the meter enclosure you should check with your power company and see if they put any restrictions on the meter mounting height.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-02, 08:19 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
abkent, Generally 6'is a good height to mount them. Utility green book height on meter can in my area is 6', measured from ground to top of the meter can. It might be the same in your area.

Fred

Old 09-05-02, 08:29 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the help.

The Meter base requirements are set by my power company at 4'-6' to the center of the can. But I haven't found any indication on height of the load center located inside the house. The 5-1/2' suggested by sparksone42 sounds reasonable and is probably the height I'll use unless someone else has an opposing opinion.

abkent

Old 09-05-02, 10:36 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
arkent, Like sparksone42 was saying the code does not address the height per say, just that it must be accessible. Contact your electrical inspection department to see if there is a specific for your city.

Fred

Old 09-05-02, 05:21 PM
B
the inspector here told me"Have the height of the meter itself so an average man flatfooter can look right at it. So if average was about 5'7 then top of box 6 feet. same with circuit breaker box

Old 09-05-02, 07:48 PM
A
Master Electrician
Height:

All recommended Heights will work fine. What I do (being 5'6" tall) is grab the main (if on top) in my fist then hold it up about 45'angle to the wall standing flat foot, and mount. By using this method then any person of normal height should be able to reach the main if needed.

Old 09-07-02, 11:14 PM
The one code rule that speaks directly to the height of lighting and appliance panel boards is the rule on the height of breakers used as switches. If the breakers are to be used as switches such as to control lighting using switch rated breakers than the panels mounting height must not put the center of the handle of the highest breaer used as a switch above 2.0 Metres.

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
(A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.
--
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: