Dedicated circuit for whirlpool?

Old 09-05-02, 07:33 AM
cmp
Visiting Guest
Dedicated circuit for whirlpool?

I plan on installing a whirlpool when I renovate my bathroom. I was browsing through various models online when I came across a likely candidate.

When reading the installation notes, I noticed that it requires a dedicated 15 amp circuit. However, my box is full up. Couldn't I share a 20 amp, especially if the other items on that circuit probably wouldn't be used at the same time?

Here is the url to the installation notes for that particular tub, it's a pdf file.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...nstall_255.pdf (pg 3)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-02, 08:26 AM
Mr. Kiss
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure you could share a circuit however, I believe NEC states a GFCI muct be provided in the circuit so you'll need a dedicated neutral too. Also when you say "share" that doesn't mean you can just tap in on the top of the circuit breaker, that's also against NEC.

Are you planning on heating it? That requires another dedicated cir.

You can always get an electrician to install a sub panel to what's existing (my recomendation).

Old 09-05-02, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Better to connect a sub-panel to the existing panel for additional branch-circuits. If you'r remodeling your bath you should include a seperate 20 amp. circuit for a GFI receptacle.Is this a DIY electrical wiring project?---Good Luck!!!

Old 09-05-02, 08:36 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Do your homework

Typical power usage for a standard size whirlpool tub motor is around 1kW, give or take.
Which means that whirlpool tub draws about 9A of current out of the circuit. You really need to do your homework carefully when you tap into any existing circuit.
It's highly recommended NOT to place a full 20A load on a 20A circuit; you should have about 10-20% cushion for safety.
Add all loads on a circuit that you're planning to tap into and it shouldn't exceed 6 or 7 Amps.

Old 09-05-02, 01:30 PM
cmp
Visiting Guest
Homework being done

Well, what I wanted to do was use the 20 amp line that the bathroom is on and replace one of the sets going to a light with the whirlpool via a GFCI socket. So far the only other things on this circuit are the ceiling heater/fan a GFCI socket in the wall, the oversink light and a socket on the other side of the wall (in my bedroom).

I wasn't going to get the heater, so I haven't considered it. However, if I have to go to the trouble of getting a sub panel, I may as well.

Because I'm enlarging the room, I'll be utilizing a light from another circuit.

Now that I'm getting a clue beyond basic electrical projects, I'm seeing that I may be altering my plans.

Old 09-07-02, 12:59 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
those ceiling heater/fan combos are usually ( should be) on their own circuit. If your box is full have you considered using a two line single slot breaker? The kind with tiny throw switches but two per breaker. Less work than a subpanel if it works. ( I think thats how they work anyhow havent used one. )

Hope this helps-Josh

Old 09-10-02, 07:16 AM
cmp
Visiting Guest
Hey! I didn't think of that! You're right! It's a dedicated 20amp. I wonder if my wife could do without the heater.... It doesn't get that cold in the winter. lol

Well, actually, since I'm thinking of providing power to my shed and an outdoor fountain, I may put the sub panel in anyhoo. But trying to snake a new wire up to the bathroom is intimidating.