caulking around wire going into vapour barrier box

Old 10-13-00, 08:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

installed new wiring into an outlet that has one of those plastic vapour barrier boxes around it. i cut a hole in the plastic to pull wire through it and into the outlet box.
now do i need to caulk around the wire at the spot the wire is going through the plastic to prevent air flow.
thanks for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-00, 05:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm not an electrician, but if you have a box that is supposed to be moisture-proof (perhaps outside with a gfci somewhere in the cicuit), then you need to seal the hole with caulk. Air carries moisture, and that can condense and cause your circuit to trip. Good Luck!

Old 10-14-00, 09:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What I am picturing as a vapor barrier in a dwelling is where the insulation is installed between the studs with no paper or plastic attached to the insulation and a solid sheet of plastic is attached to the surface of the stud wall before the drywall is installed during new construction forming a vapor barrier. Also the vapor barrier could be a tar coated paper or plastic attached to the insulation. If the above discription is the case you are describing, then a tight fit is the normal method of install both types of vapor barier during their insallation without any caulking installed. These are considered no fire rated walls.

If the above is situation you have then just make as small a hole as you can.

Also remember that a fire retardant caulking is required to be installed wherever you drill or pass a wire thruogh the top plate, bottom plate or bulkhead in a dwelling.

If you are dealing with a fire rated wall then the opening must be at least 12" offset of any other opening in the oppisite side of the wall in a 2 hour fire rated wall.

If you are in a wall that has a 12 hour fire rating you should contact your authority having jurisdiction to confirm what he accepts as a proper seal for the condition you are using.

If you are just dealing with a non fire rated wall and only have moisture or air involved then a tight fit without caulking is accepted practice.

HOpe this helps

Wg