Extending stove connection

Old 10-08-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to move my electric range (50 amps 125/250). The cord is about six feet too short to get it where we want it to go. I presumed that I would be able to create a junction box in the basement where the old cord ends and merely add #6 wire but the guy in the electrical department at Lowe's says that you can't junction box #6 safely. He says I should get all new wire from box to plug. He also told me that in 1996 code changed and my 6-2 wire no longer meets required installation criteria. Can anyone provide me some direction? At $1.30 per ft the difference is about $55 (I know, I know but I prefer to be cheap if I can do it safely).

Old 10-08-00, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have an existing range cable and if it is a type SE cable then you may use this three wire cable using the bare cable as your grounded and grounding conductor.

There is nowhere in the code that says you can not extend a range cable, no matter whether it is an 8 ga or 6 ga.

I highly recommend that you replace the existing range cable with a new 4 wire romex at least an #8 three with ground Romex perferrably going a size larger to a 6 ga.

If you must extend the range cable and only if it is an SE cable then you can use a j box with a minimum size j box of 48 cubic inch. This box must be accessible and effecively closed by a blank plate.

The junctions can be wire nutted with wire nuts approved for that size conductor, or with split bolts using filler tape then electrical tape as insulation over the junction, or use a terminal block or keytap.

I truly advise that you replace the line with a four wire feeder directly from the main panel without any junctions. Junctions do not seem to hold up good where resistant heat is involved.

Good luck

Wg

Old 10-14-00, 09:25 AM
Visiting Guest
i will now openly demonstrate my ignorance... How do I know what an SE cord is? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the cord. The plug I am using is three prong. The range is vintage 1981. There appears to be only three spots for cords in the outlet.

Old 10-14-00, 10:14 AM
The wire coming from you panel is required to have the type and size stamped on the side of the cable. This is not your range cord with the plug. This is the wire coming from the panel to the range receptacle. If you are trying to get a longer range cord from the stove, the NEC limits this cord length to 6'.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 10-14-00, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
The electric cable that I was using is aluminum shielded and old so I am going the route you have suggested. But it only has three wires. Your suggestion above was to use #6 with four wires. That is the route I intend to go but I am not certain how to connect the fourth wire since my 250/125 recepticle has only three obvious places for wires. I have checked out the other range recepticles but they will not fit the plug for my stove. Please let me know if you think I am missing something. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 10-14-00, 06:34 PM
Visiting Guest
hello leonecon,
what wg told u is correct according to the new code u must use 3 wire with ground cabel for ranges. the reasion u have no place for the 4th wire is the new code uses a seperat nutural and a ground as well as 2 hots, and your present cord and recep. only have 2 hots a nutural and ground combined. u have 2 choices here,
1.(best/safest option) buy a new 4 wire 50 amp recep and cord for the range, and install.
2. use the existing recep and cord and use 3 of the 4 wires and caping off the unused wire.
wireing for option 1
1. turn off main breaker(lugs on breaker will still be hot, but panel is dead)
2. remove panel cover
3. remove existing wire from breaker
4. remove wire from panel
5. turn main back on
6. remove recep
7. remove wire to recep
8. pull new wire to recep but not into panel
7. wire new recep (red black to hot, white to nutural,bare to green directions will be in new recep)
9. turn main breaker off
10. run wire into panel
11. wire panel (red and black to breaker, white to nutural bar, bare to ground bar)
12. repalice panel cover turn main on and range breaker off
13.remove back of range(where cord enters range)
14. remove current cord (noteing what wire goes where)
15. remove the bonding jumper(piece of wire or strip of metal the goes from frame of range to 1 of the screw terminals usualy the center)
16. install new cord ( hot wires to the hot terminals, white to the nutural terminal(terminal u removed the jumper from) green to frame)
17. plug in cord
18. turn on range breaker
wireing for option 2
wire exctily as current except u need to cap off eather the white or bare wire in the recep and panel(i would cap the white since the recep is verry limited on space and a bare wire loose could cause u a problem), following direcetions 4 step 1 except omet steps that dont apply.

Old 10-14-00, 07:30 PM
Sparky

Ya did fine but thought I would point out the detail of the change in the 99 NEC. If you are working with the old wire such as making it shorter or extending it then you can still use the three prong plug and range pigtail.

If you install a new wire from the panel, then you must also use the 4 prong receptacle and change to a pigtail designed for the 4 prong receptacle using a 4 prong plug on the end of the pigtail.

IF existing wire is used 3 prong allowed as an exception. If new wire 4 prong all the way to meet the 99 NEC even in existing homes.

Good luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: