HELP - Armored Cable Question???

Old 10-13-00, 09:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I bought some armored flex conduit..with no Cable in it...I have regular electrical wire 14/2 I believe with white plastic cover w/ black and white and ground wire inside...
How do you fit it in the armored casing I can get about 3 feet in but that is all..
Can U strip off the White plastic and feed in the wires...Or how do U pros do it...???

Kent

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-00, 01:02 PM
Visiting Guest
You install the same sort of wire you install
in a conduit, such as THHN, which comes in
single conductors.

Old 10-13-00, 03:41 PM
Visiting Guest
hello diyguy,
what u have is flex conduit, u dont put romex which is what u currently have in flex. u need to run singel wires that come off a spool threw this type souch as thhn, u also need to run a ground with flex if it is over 6'.

Old 10-13-00, 11:49 PM
Visiting Guest
DYIguy

Also, incase you don't know, wires such as thhn are typically pulled through the flex conduit unless it is a fairly short and straight run. Without getting into details,a fishtape can be pushed through the conduit and the wires are attached and pulled through. Most often it requires two people, one pulling while the other feeds wires into the conduit.

Phil H

Old 10-14-00, 08:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The replies are right usually single conductor wires are installed in flex conduit. However there are many occasions where you want to protect a romex such as a water pump installations where the Romex comes out of the wall and you want to protect the short section going to the pressure switch.

The reason you are having trouble in my opinion is that you have purchase a flex conduit too small allowed for the Romex to be installed in. The NEC requires that you measure the widest dimension of the Romex and consider that as a single round conductor of that size diameter allowing the conduit to be filled to a maximum of 53% of fill of the cubic inch ot that conduit.

I suggest that you use a size larger flex conduit.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 10-14-00, 07:21 PM
Visiting Guest
If you're using a #14 or #12 Romex, use the 1/2 inch flex. A good trick in feeding it through is to strip off about an inch of the outer sheath on the cable and put a wirenut over the conductors.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DYIguy:
I bought some armored flex conduit..with no Cable in it...I have regular electrical wire 14/2 I believe with white plastic cover w/ black and white and ground wire inside...
How do you fit it in the armored casing I can get about 3 feet in but that is all..
Can U strip off the White plastic and feed in the wires...Or how do U pros do it...???

Kent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-15-00, 04:21 PM
Visiting Guest
fi your use is as wg described in the previous reply,then it is ok to protect the wire with flex. You should tape the end of the romex so it will not hang up inside the flex. you should keep both the romex and the flex straight while pushing it through.

Old 10-15-00, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks all who replied...lol
I broke down and bought 6 feet of Armored cable w/ wires...finished the job....
Next time I know better to do it the right way..

Kent