switch and outlet

Old 10-15-00, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a outlet with a switch on top and a outlet on bottom. I want to hook up a garbage dis. to the switch. There is a main wire , a wire for dishwasher and now the wire for the garbage dis. I hooked up the two black to one gold screw and the other black to the other gold screw. Same with the white wire's. I can get the plug to work but not the switch. When I switch the wire's around , as soon as I flip the switch it blows the breaker. Any tips would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-00, 09:44 PM
Visiting Guest
hello hermitt96,
a disposer is a motor load and according to the code shuld be on its own circuit. disposers r frequently hooked into the same circuit as the dishwasher, and as long as both r not run at same time pose no problem, mine at my own home r on the same circuit, along with a few other outlets, and will remain that way till i remodel.
with that said here is what u need to do.
1. turn off breaker for this circuit
2. remove the switch/outlet from wall
3. connect the black of main wire to black of dishwasher and doubel pigtail(2 small pieces of wire aprox 7" long attached with a wirenut to 1 or more wires to produse 2 ends to connect to a device)
4. connect all the white wires together and pigtail (small piece of wire aprox 7" long attached with a wirenut to 2 or more wires to produse 1 end to connect to a device)
5. connect the white pigtail to the nutural screw of switch/outlet combo (silver screw on the outlet)
6. connect 1 black pigtail to the gold screw on outlet
7. connect other black pigtail to gold screw above the gold screw on outlet
8. connect black of disposer wire to remaining gold screw.
NOTE
your switch/outlet may have only 3 screws 2 gold and 1 silver if this is case then u only need 1 black pigtail and this would go to the common screw usualy the gold screw by itsself. the gold screw above the silver screw is normaly the switch leg terminal

Old 10-16-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
It worked out great thank you for your info and help.