220 wall heater

Old 10-17-00, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i bought a 220 3000 watt wall heater and it doesnt seem to be putting out much heat i wonder if i am only putting 120 to it i used 10 2 romex a 30 amp. circuit breaker i hooked one wire to the breaker one to the neutral and ground to ground without buying a voltage tester does this seem right it does heat but not as much as i thought it would any help would be app.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-00, 06:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Indeed, you do not have 220 volts. You only have a 110 volt breaker, and you don't have enough wires in your cable.

Old 10-17-00, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello sblueduck. John's right you don't have 220v the way it's wired. Your 10/2 w ground cable is OK though. Buy and install a 2 pole breaker, take the wire off the nuetral, color it black, connect it to the other pole of the breaker. With one wire on each side of a two pole breaker you will now have 220v - 240v at the heater. With the ground hooked up to the ground bar in the panel you should be all set.

Old 10-17-00, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
pete and john i took your advice and hooked the heater up right amazing how well a 220 heater works when its getting the proper voltage this forum is really great the members have already helped me twice thank you guys very much i hope i can help sometime