Generator transfer switch

Old 10-17-00, 07:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently purchased a home w/ a 6 circuit gentran switch. The previously owner had a 6000 watt generator for back up.
I purchased a 5500 watt (6250 watt surge)generator w/ a 30 amp 220v outlet.
Now I discover that the transfer switch is only rated for 5000 watts and 20 amps.
Can I still use this generator safely if I manage the the loads to ensure that the switch doesn''t recieve more than 5000 watts.
The cord I have to attach to the house is 10/3 w/ ground (25ft.). The wire from the outside plug to the switch is 12/3 w/ground (50 additional feet). Does the voltage drop work in my favor here ?
Also, is there something I can atach between the generator and the plug to the house which will limit the amperage to 20 amps at the transfer switch.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-00, 04:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can put a fuse disconnect on the feeder between the generator and the transfer switch. In this fused disconnect drop your female plug out of the disconnect from the line side of the disconnect for your generator to plug into and make sure the disconnect and the plug is weather proof rated if outside. Run the feeder going to your transfer switch that is designe to plug into the generator and connect this feeder to the load side of the fused disconnect. Install fuses in the disconnect rated for the transfer switch maximum rating. This will limit your generator output to the maximum rating of the transfer switch.

Good Luck

Wg