Power from pole to Cabin


Old 10-17-00, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

My meter is located at a pole about 100' away from my cabin. The cabin is newly built and has no power at present. I need to get power to the house by burying the supply line from the meter(at the pole ) to the cabin. I will be using an electrician to hook it up to the meter and the circuit box at the cabin, but will be responsible for running the line from the meter to the cabin. My questions are...What wire do I need to bring this power to the cabin? How deep is deep enough when burying? Conduit type?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-00, 07:20 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You didn't say the size of panel or cabin. I am guessing that you are either running a 100 amp or a 200 amp panel. If you are installing a 400 amp parallel panel system using two 200 amp panels then just run two cables one to each panel sized for 200 amp each.

100 amp rated panel should need a #2 URD aluminimum 3 wire cable, or a #4 USE copper 3 wire cable.

200 amp rated panel should need a 4/0 URD aluminum 3 wire cable, or a 2/0 USE copper 3 wire cable.

400 amp rated double parallel panel system should need two 4/0 URD aluminum 3 wire cables, or two 2/0 USE copper 3 wire cables.

If you use the 3 wire cable then you must install a ground rod at the pole where the meterbase is or confirm that the utility company has that meter bonded to earth. Then you must install a grounding source at the dwelling structure. This is usually a ground rod but may be any grounding source listed in 250-66 of the NEC. To meet the minimum safety standards of the NEC you are not required a disconnect or fuse at the meterbase just at the nearest point of entry of the dwelling. This is according to a new unlimited tap rule in the NEC recognizing outside feeders as secondary wiring the same as the utility company designs. The neutrals and grounds must be married in the dwelling if you only run three wire feeders to that dwelling and supply a new grounding source.

IF you opt to run a four wire feeder from the meterbase then you must install a main service fused disconnect at the meter on that utility pole. The panels in the dwelling would then be using the grounding source at the main disconnect on the utility pole supplied there for the main service panel. If you run the four wire feeders then your panels in the dwelling would then be a sub panel and the neutrals and grounding conductors would have to be separated. The dwelling would then be a sub panel of the main service disconnect that would be required on the pole.

18" is the minimum depth allowed to bury the conductors. The conductors mentioned above are designed to be direct buried without the protection of a conduit. If you are running in a gravel area that may cause damage to the direct buried wire or are runnning under a driveway then a conduit is required to protect the wire from damage in those areas only.

Good Luck



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: