track lighting

Old 10-16-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Help!!!! my track lighting just fell out of my ceiling (obviously the last owners did not install correctly) in my kitchen. I need to know if there is a way to undo connectors where rails attach together. I have a U - shape piece that my two children and i removed but would be too hard to put back up like this. They had used 3/4 inch sheet meatal screws to attach this thing to sheetrock. Can i use those plastic sheetrock inserts with screws to reattach to ceiling. This is an old house that has had a drop sheetrock ceiling put in as a remodel. Please help ASAP!!! Liz

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-00, 08:06 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Lizzie,
most track lighting is connected together with set screw connectors, loosen the set screws and take apart the sections. i would advise useing the winged plastic anchors, they work like togal bolts, or togal bolts whin u rehang the track. good luck and if u need more info feel free to email me or post again.

Old 10-17-00, 07:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
YOur description of the type of ceiliing has a little to be desired. IF your ceiling is a wood framed ceiling then you should be able to mount as Sparky stated. It probably be better if you could mark the wood ceiling joists and screw to the joists if you can hit them.

Now if you have a suspended cieling using wire to hang the suspended ceiling from the original ceiling and metal rails to support 4 x 8 sheets, then you should use a different mounting method. These 4 x 8 suspended ceiling tiles are not strong enough and the NEC forbids you from hanging a fixture from those tiles alone.
YOu might want to go to your electrical wholesale supplier and ask for a hanger designed for the purpose. A brand name called caddy specializes in these type of mounting clips. These clips mount to the rails of the suspended ceiling and supports the fixtures from those metal rails.

Good Luck

Wg