broken plastic attachment points hanging ceiling light

Old 09-08-02, 08:14 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
broken plastic attachment points hanging ceiling light

Is there a repair for broken plastic support lugs (the material that holds the cover plate and supports the load from a ceiling electrical box) on a plastic ceiling fixture box?

I noticed that the circular box cover plate on the electrical box on my hanging ceiling light above my stairs looked like it was only supported by one screw.

Getting a closer look revealed that a screw had worked itself out and was laying inside the tilted box cover. Worse the other screw was about to do the samething. Even worse yet, both screws were one inch drywall screws instead of stand machine screws normally used to support the load of the hanging ceiling light. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out what the support lugs on the box look like after a drywall screw has been used.

Access to the box from the attic will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Is there a way to repair the ceiling box so that it will support the ceiling fixture which weighs about 15 lbs?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-02, 11:24 AM
T
texsparky
Visiting Guest
There are several different manufacturers that make fan support j-boxes that are installed from below.Most have a threaded hanger bar that extends and grips the ceiling joists. You should check local hardware stores to see what is available.

Old 09-08-02, 05:19 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fan support j-boxes

Thanks for the lead on the fan support j-box. I hadn't thought of using one of those. I'll see what's available locally.

thanks, again.

barry