2nd phone line installation

Old 10-19-00, 10:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I already have 2 lines to the house. Both are working in different rooms. I have an existing jack that has line 1 and I want it to have line 2 also. The existing line has the blu/blu&wht lines hooked to red & green. There are orange/orange&white and green/Green & white wires that are continuous.
I bought a 2 line jack. Do I connect the orange/orange&white wires to the black and yellow? Do I have to do anything to the wires outside the house? Also do I have to disconnect anything before I do anything?
Thanks, Marcia

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Examine the jack where line 2 is already working. If the orange/orange-white pair are connected to the red and green posts on the jack, then that is the pair you want. That is likely. You say you have a 2-line jack. Does that mean you have a plate with 2 jacks in it, or just one? It make a difference. If you have two jacks in one plate, you would hook up the orange pair to the red and green posts of the second jack. If you have a single jack, you would hook up the orange pair the black and yellow posts. This second method is what you would use for a 2-line telephone.

Old 10-19-00, 11:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Do the inside work first. If the jack then works, you don't need to do anything outside. If it doesn't, then maybe you do.

Come back and let us know if it doesn't work and we'll tell you what to do next.