Electrical Service Upgrade

Old 09-08-02, 12:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Electrical Service Upgrade

Hi all,

I need to have the service and breaker panel in my house upgraded. Right now I've got 100 amp service, 2 1/2" conduit between the transformer pad and the meter socket with 2/O aluminium cable in it.

Without putting in new conduit, which would require me diging up part of the neighbors driveway and lawn, how big a service can I install?

I'm going to have the breaker panel replaced no matter what, it's too small, just a 22 space for a 3 bedroom house!

The local power comapny said I could pull a 3/O aluminium cable through the existing 2 1/2" conduit and go to a 200 amp service because the distance is short enough, less than 75 feet.

But when I had an electrical contractor come out to take a look he told me I would need to put in a new conduit and pull 4/O cable.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-08-02, 12:49 PM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,564
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not sure 3/0 alum is legit for residential or not but 2/0 copper is but 3/0 for commercial. I think it is 4/0,, but someone will come and tell us I am sure. I think you could do 4/0 in 2 1/2 though as they use it in 2" from weatherhead to meter in overhead with 4/0 alum.
Old 09-08-02, 12:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

NEC code(2002)Table310.15(B)(6) allows 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum for 200 amp residential single phase services and table c10 would allow for 5 thw 4/0 in a 2 1/2" conduit.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: