What electrical work can be done by the homeowner?

Old 10-19-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Does anyone know the policy for performing electrical work by a homeowner? I need to have a thermostat relay relocated, and I'm not sure if those types of things can be performed by the homeowner, or what is needed to pass code.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-00, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Your best bet is to call your local inspector. Assuming a low-voltage thermostat, I see no reason you should not be able to do this yourself. Only your local inspector can answer specifically what code requirements will be for you. The NEC does not really say much about low-voltage circuits except that you are to keep them separated from high-voltage.

Most places I know of will let a homeowner do his/her own work, even on power wiring, as long as it is properly inspected.

[This message has been edited by ranck (edited October 19, 2000).]

Old 10-19-00, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Just a single data point, but where I live, the homeowner can do all types of electrical work on their own home (no exclusions), as long as it's under a building permit.

Old 10-19-00, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the repy John. Does all electrical work constitute a building permit??

Old 10-19-00, 02:58 PM
Visiting Guest
hello mp147,
the best place to get the answers your ?s is your local building inspector. every state and city has its own requirements as to what a home owner can peform, and what requires a building permit. hers an example in my home town the owner is allowed to peform all electrical work from the service on, all work must have an electrical permit and be inspected, the service must be installed by a licensed electrician. now u go 15 miles away and the home owner is allowed to do any electrical work he wishes or have some 1 do the work for them includeing a service, any electrical work costing less then 100 dollars requires no permit or inspection, believe me i do alot of work in this town going back and correcting others screw ups. there is a catch though if u do have to obtain an inspection, the inspector looks at the total house and u must correct anything that is not code unless it was correct in a prior code. if upon reinspection he still finds things wrong u must hire a licensed electrician.

Old 10-19-00, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
WHERE I live which is in the county there is no kind of inspection required to do electric work.What you want to do is not a job that would require having an inspection or any lisc. but it never hurts to check just mark your wires and turn off all power to it.Now do only what you are comfortable doing and take your time doing it,if you have any doubts or your not sure how something wires back up then get a pro or come back to here and ask But don't just guess or say well that will be ok.Remember to that you also have insurance companies that may question what you did if something goes wrong. BE CAREFUL BE SAFE AND YOU WILL DO FINE MOVING IT,

Old 10-19-00, 03:43 PM
Visiting Guest
In my locality, the homeowner is allowed to perform their own electrical work, as long as the proper permits are aqquired and the work is inspected. It's up to you, as far as pulling a permit for electrical work, but if you don't, and in the worst case scenario, your house was to burn down, and it was traced to any recent electrical work that was not inspected, you would probably not be covered by your insurance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mp147:
Does anyone know the policy for performing electrical work by a homeowner? I need to have a thermostat relay relocated, and I'm not sure if those types of things can be performed by the homeowner, or what is needed to pass code.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>