Replacing old light fixture

Old 10-21-00, 07:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to replace a light fixture in a house built in 1941. I can see a black wire and a white wire, however, there is no ground wire. The track lighting that I would like to install has black, white and a copper ground wire. Can I simply attach the ground wire to the existing box in the ceiling? What purpose does a ground wire serve as the old fixture appears to have worked safely since 1941? Also, the house has 100 amp service.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, my name is Nathan Smith I have been an electrician for over 8 years and hold journeymans liscences in two states, anyway... You can replace the light with your track fixture and yes you should tie the ground wire to the existing metal box. The ground wire is used for safety, it is perhaps the most important wire of all of them. If your new track light happens to short out or I have seen a light bulb short out without a ground you could possible "energize the metal parts of the fixture. If you had a ground if a short occurs than of course it will trip the breaker letting you know there is a short somewhere in the electrical circuit. So yes you can do it, though I would look into re-wiring your home sometime in the future. I currently have a web site that will be opening soon where I will host a free message board to answer any electrical questions along with other resources I will have available to do it yourselfers. If you would like to visit my site when it is complete please e-mail me at [email protected] Good luck to you and hope to hear from you.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by icemq:
I would like to replace a light fixture in a house built in 1941. I can see a black wire and a white wire, however, there is no ground wire. The track lighting that I would like to install has black, white and a copper ground wire. Can I simply attach the ground wire to the existing box in the ceiling? What purpose does a ground wire serve as the old fixture appears to have worked safely since 1941? Also, the house has 100 amp service.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>