Cutler-Hammer Circuit breaker

Old 09-10-02, 06:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Cutler-Hammer Circuit breaker

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and am at the point of installing the new circuits. Unfortunately, I just discovered the Cutler-hammer circuits are an old type with a silver clip on the outside (as opposed to a large plastic claw, like the ones at Home Depot). Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain these old CH circuits? If not, what choice do I have short of adding a sub-panel. Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Old 09-10-02, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Look in the phone book for an Electrical supply house and contact them and ask if they sell Cutler Hammer once you find one that does you will more than likely be able to get what you need. The home improvement stores only carry that which sells fast.
Old 09-10-02, 06:58 AM
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary Canada
Posts: 697
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many electrical suppliers may have the breaker your looking for in stock gathering dust. But if not there are places that sell used and hard to find breakers. You can try this link they usually have many of the hand to find devices.
Old 09-10-02, 10:12 AM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,648
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is that a great big breaker,, I dont remember now but I had to replace a breaker for a dryer in my Dads house and couldnt find one so I replace it with a modern panel. I saved all those just in case,,, later I run across one in a store somewhere,,, new. It might still be there. I think it was called a type xo breaker.
Old 09-10-02, 10:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks to all who have replied to my question. I love how quickly I can get responses in this forum! I just spoke with a gentlemen at a local electrical supply house. According to him, the circuit I'm looking for is no longer manufactured, however, the circuit with the claw is designed to replace it. We'll see when I get home tonight. Once again, thanks all.
Old 09-10-02, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Are you talking about the old style that the buss connections are on the side of the breaker? If you are let us know if this works because I've never seen a newer style breaker that would replace the old style CH. I have seen these panels many times and rate them right up there with Federal Pacific where the "clips"do not make a tight connection on the bus bar and arcing under load occurs. If it was up to me,I'd change out the loadcenter.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: