De-Wiring Telephone Jack

Old 10-22-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi!

I'm pretty dumb at this stuff so please pardon me if this is indeed a dumb question. We have a telephone jack in a hallway that we don't use. My thought was to uninstall the jack and replace it with a flat face plate. Can I simply cut the wires to the jack and maybe cap them off or is there something else I need to do so as to not screw up the other phone jacks in the house.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-00, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Open up your jack, and check for the number of wires to one screw. If there is one per screw, just cut them and install wirenuts to cap them off. If there is more than one per screw, take each set off and tie them together, again using a wire nut.

Good luck. RM

Old 10-23-00, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks, Rick. As I said, I'm pretty dumb about this stuff. What I have is 4 wires, black, red, green and yellow, coming into the jack. Each one goes into a different "slot" in the jack and ends up at the phone line connector. Is this what you mean by one wire per "screw"?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickM:
Open up your jack, and check for the number of wires to one screw. If there is one per screw, just cut them and install wirenuts to cap them off. If there is more than one per screw, take each set off and tie them together, again using a wire nut.

Good luck. RM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-23-00, 07:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Rick was trying to determine if this jack was in the middle of a daisy-chained run. If so, you don't want to break any connections made by the jack. But from your description, if you just have one wire of each color, then you don't need to worry about that.

Simply disconnect all the wires, put some tape on them so they don't touch each other, shove everything back in the box and put a cover plate on.

I'm not exactly sure why that little hole in the plate bothers you, but good luck anyway.

Old 10-23-00, 07:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks. As to why it bothers me, heh heh heh, it bothers my wife, not me. ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
Rick was trying to determine if this jack was in the middle of a daisy-chained run. If so, you don't want to break any connections made by the jack. But from your description, if you just have one wire of each color, then you don't need to worry about that.

Simply disconnect all the wires, put some tape on them so they don't touch each other, shove everything back in the box and put a cover plate on.

I'm not exactly sure why that little hole in the plate bothers you, but good luck anyway.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>