wire for 220 for 5-6hp air compressor

Old 09-10-02, 06:01 PM
C
chukmac
Visiting Guest
wire for 220 for 5-6hp air compressor

I will be doing some insulation work in the garage this week-end, and want to run a wire to sub panel just in case I ever need 220. Will just run it down into panel, and coil excess in attic--nothing hooked up to power. Question is, will 10/2 w ground be good,or should I use 10/3--8/2-8/3? Panel is fed w/ 60 amp breaker, an all I have on it is 2 ea. 20's for garage lites and 3 ea. 15's for inside ceiling fans and a microwave. Thank for any advise
chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-02, 08:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most 240-volt circuits are designed and wired for a specific appliance. Unlike 120-volt circuits, you do not commonly find a "general purpose" 240-volt circuit. So you will have a better result and a happier life if you can predict what this circuit might be used for.

Since this circuit will be run off your existing subpanel, and since your existing subpanel is only good for 60 amps, and since you've already used up some of that, there's no point in planning for a 60-amp circuit.

Some 240-volt circuits require x/3 cable and some only require x/2. If you have little idea what this 240-volt circuit might be used for in the future, I'd probably run 8/3. That will allow you up to a 40-amp 120/240 circuit. You don't have the capacity for any more than that anyway.

If you really cannot predict what this circuit might be for, the best solution is to run empty 1" conduit.

Old 09-10-02, 08:44 PM
C
chukmac
Visiting Guest
220 wire

Sorry I wasn't more explicit--- have sub panel already in garage powered by 60 amp breaker--ran 6/3 w ground -- lights, plugs, gfci's--all exting wiring has been inspected by city and approved--4/5 yeare ago. All I need to know is size of wire to run for 220v compressor. It will not be used at the same time my table saw, radial saw, band saw, etc are running (no two of which are used at the same time now). I have worked with elec. for years, so I am pretty well up on safety measures--just haven't run any 220 except for ranges and dryers.
thanks chuck

Old 09-10-02, 09:23 PM
C
chukmac
Visiting Guest
John-- thanks, I just noticed that I hadn't said in my original post that the extra wire was for a compressor. Good idea on running empty conduit. I may never have use for 220 compressor- was just gonna run wire thru un-insulated wall so I wouldn't have to try to fish thru insulation later. Conduit I can use for any updating.Thanks again,chuck

Old 09-11-02, 12:12 PM
G
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
From your posts I can already make a prediction - a 220 circuit for power tools.
Before you even think of insulation/drywall, go ahead and install a 220 line NOW - you mean your table saw (at least) isn't running on 220?
Good luck.