Wiring lights to a switch

Old 09-10-02, 06:31 PM
octa
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Wiring lights to a switch

Hi I hope someone can answer a pretty basic question for me since I'm relatively new to doing all of this as a new homeowner. I currently have two light fixtures that are switched on and off using a string hanging from each one. What I'd like to do is replace both of them with recessed lights and hook them both up to a switch on the wall.

Sorry if I'm being too general here but I'd appreciate any tips or hints that could help me out Thanks for any and all help!!

Old 09-10-02, 07:04 PM
A
Master Electrician
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch:

If the light are controled by a pull-chain than power is in the light box, and if you think this is a job you can do, than first, from the light box run a cable down the wall, (12/2) romex. cut in a old construction wall box, for the new switch. Let new wire hang out at least 6" from front of box. run new cable (12/3) from one light to other light. Again let 6" hang out. post back let us know if you have this done, and then let us know what light has what wires in it, and location to the switch. then we can get you through the hook-up part.

Old 09-10-02, 08:23 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It depends on how the cable is routed now. Is there already a cable between the two lights? Does the cable end at one of the two lights? If the power comes to light#1 first, and then there is already a cable from light#1 to light#2, and if power does not continue anywhere else after light#2, then all you will need is one 12/2 (or 14/2 if on a 15-amp circuit) from light#1 to where you want the switch.

In the paragraph above, I have outlined one possibility. Arthur has assumed a different possibility. There are many other possibilities on cable routing. Rather than us try to provide a solution for every possible condition, it would help if you provided more information about the existing cable routing.

Old 09-11-02, 05:11 AM
octa
Visiting Guest
Hi, thanks so much for replying so quickly. Currently, there are 4 lights connected to eachother. Lights 1 & 2 are currently on a switch which is the way I'd like to keep it. Lights 3 & 4 are the pull-chains which I'd like to convert to the recessed lighting and wire for a switch.

Light 3 is connected to light 2 and light 4 (where the power ends) connects to light 3 all using 14/2.

I hope this provides you with enough info to help me out. Thanks again!

Old 09-11-02, 06:30 AM
J
Since light#2 is already switched, and since light#3 is connected to light#2, does that mean that the operation of light#3 depends on the position of the existing switch?

All you need is one new 14/2 cable, from light#3 to where you want the new switch.

At the switch, simply connect the black and white wires to the two screws on the new switch.

At light#3, the black power feed from light#2 is currently connected to both the black from the light (or the brass screw) and the black going to light#4. Remove the black power feed from this connection (leaving the other two connected), and reconnect the black power feed wire to the white wire of the new 14/2 cable. Then connect the black of the new 14/2 cable to where the black power feed wire was formerly connected.

That's all there is to it. Of course, connect all the grounding wires properly, and remark both ends of the white wire in the new 14/2 with black marker. Leave the existing pull chains permanently in the "on" position.

Old 09-11-02, 12:38 PM
octa
Visiting Guest
Hi, thanks again for your expert advice. Before I start this project I would like you to clarify one thing for me if you wouln't mind. The instructions that came with the recessed light that I bought advised me not to connect the black and white wire to the switch as you have suggested.

Is this OK to do now because both wires are considered "hot"? Thanks and sorry if the question is sounds extremely basic, I'm just novice

Old 09-11-02, 12:58 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are these fixtures rated at 120 volts?---I suggest you run a 14/2 feed to the switch from the nearest outlet box with a 120 volt "feed" and a 14/2 from the switch to the recessed fixtures which gives 2 Blacks and 2 Whites at the switch-box. At the switch the 2 Whites wire-nut together and the 2 Blacks connect to the switch terminals. Only the Blacks connect to the switch. Avoid 2 new cables in an existing box-you may "crowd" the box and mix-up the connections, both old and new.---Good Luck!

Old 09-11-02, 01:35 PM
J
I stand by my earlier directions as sound and safe. If you would like to give me the exact quote from the instructions to which you are referring, I will comment on it. Most directions that come with fixtures do not consider switch loops (which gets people into endless trouble when they happen to already have a switch loop).

PATTBAA's directions are also valid and safe, if you feel more comfortable with that solution. PATTBAA's directions are conceptually simpler, but require more wire and more work. Those instructions require you to run two new cables and to remove one old cable. My directions require only one new cable and no cable removals.

Take your pick. Both are fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: