rewiring antique lamp

Old 10-23-00, 10:55 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an old handpainted glass lamp that needs to be rewired. I can do that, but it also has a little "night light" size bulb in the base with a separate wire going up to the top, it apparently turns on with the first turn of the switch, and then 3 more levels for a 3 way bulb. The wire is bad and needs to be replaced in both cases. I cut off the wire to this second fixture, it snaps into the base, obviously made especially for this type lamp(probably never find a new one), and may have to splice it to new wire. Question is, do I use same weight wire for the little light? It was black wire, twisted tightly around the main lamp wire and barely fit through the center stem. Both wires were stiff and may have been too hot at some time. Or should I just replace the socket with a standard 3 way light and forget the little light in the base?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
If I remember right the type of lamp that you are describing has a little push button on off switch down at the bottom of the lamp. You used to push it with your foot to turn on that foot light. The three position spin switch was the type of switch at the top for the top light.

Check to see if you have a hole down on the bottom somewhere. If so install a push button on off switch down there and connect one of the two wires going down to the switch then install a jumper to the copper screw of the socket. The second wire going down would go to the silver screw. I believe you will find the copper and silver screw on the original light sockets, but the grounded and the hot interchanged. Please don't rewire going to the light socket the same way that it was when it was manufactured. Install the hot to the screw not going to the screw shell. This hot should be connected to the screw serving the center post in the socket that the bulb's center touches. Then connect the grounded leg to the screw shell.

In the old times hot and grounded made no difference to them. We now know this makes a big difference and increases the chance for shock if hot goes to the screw shell.

Hope this helps

Wg