How to get started?

Old 09-11-02, 07:15 AM
D
dpolglaze
Visiting Guest
Question How to get started?

We have a 50-year old cape code, and, except for a newer addition and a few outlets here and there, it is mostly old black Romex wiring and old outlets and switches. The circuit box is newer with breakers, and a few conduit lines. I want to start doing some basic and simple upgrades--maybe just start with one outlet and it's wiring in the kids' room. Their room is the large finished attic, and the electrical there seems basic.

I know next to nothing about electrical work, but I do know that it is not something to be taken lightly. I plan to hire an expert for some of the more complicated things I want to do.

Can someone recommend a book, or other source for the novice. It would need to cover converting old to new, etc. and really need to cover the fundementals. Thanks in advance.

Dwight

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-02, 08:30 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are many good books on the market to help you get started, Home Depot is a wonderful source of literature on many different home wiring projects.

Try a Guide to Home Wiring by Robert W. Wood it should help you get started

Old 09-11-02, 12:20 PM
G
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
I find Lowes has a better selection on their book racks compared to Home Depot (I would think they would want to stock the appropriate references so you could buy more materials?). These books can get expensive too, but that's relative.
The local library is also a good source.

Old 09-11-02, 01:27 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Much of the work in "old" wiring" is cutting and patching the walls. If you'r a neat worker you'll be ready with drop-cloths,dust-pans, and a vacuum cleaner. I suggest you cut a groove in the wall 2 ft' above the floor along the entire perimeter of the room as the first step.This will expose the studs. Using "deep" plastic "gem" boxes, cut holes in the walls equal to the box dimensions next to the studs so you can fasten the boxes to the studs with screws. Next-clean up!!! So far, it's only "carpenter's" work.You can now route the cables between the boxes, being sure you made openings in the boxes for the cables before they were in place. Consider communication cables and an air-conditioner circuit. Patching is just a matter of practice---a "fill" coat" of patching plaster and 2/3 "finish" coats with joint compound.A paint store will tell you what to use.---Good Luck!!!