open ground

Old 10-23-00, 07:26 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

While testing some of the outlets in my home I discovered that some have an open ground. The outlets are three pronged and do have a bare wire connected to a green screw however the tester still reads "open ground". The outlets work fine and have been working for years. Is this a potential hazard and any ideas how to fix? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-00, 07:50 PM
G
Visiting Guest
hello joemahal,
with out actualy seeing the wireing in your home i cant say for sure what has taken place.
my best gesses r as follows
1. some 1 added outlets to an old 2 wire system, off existing outlets.
2. some 1 didnt bother to connect the ground wire in the panel/outlet
3.some 1 missed joining the ground wire in another outlet down stream.
4. your ground wire has been broken some where.

any ungrounded outlet provides a hazard to shock as the current has no path to travel other then threw your body, and surge suppressers will not work properly due to no ground.
hope this helps u out.

Old 10-23-00, 08:16 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Give us one more hint, joemahal. In what year was your house built?

Old 10-23-00, 08:40 PM
G
Visiting Guest
John,

The house was built in 1955 and has had some electrical upgrades prior to us moving in. While testing other outlets I also have gotten readings that the "hot and neutral are reversed". Although all the outlets work I'm just a little concerned about safety.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-00, 12:55 PM
G
Visiting Guest
During the time frame of the construction of your home the grounding bare conductor was just coming to surface and most electricians not only didn't understand the value of them they had little respect for an equipment grounding system. I suspect that you will also find polarity to have the same respect in this wiring method.

I suggest that you open all receptacles, light fixtures, junctions boxes, with the power source turned off of course and start correcting the polarity black to copper screw of receptacles and black to black wire of fixtures. Then where ever you find a bare wire folded in the box and not connected or just twisted together install a wire nut and connect the bares to the green screws of the receptacles and switches and the green screw or green wire of the light fixtures. Go from one end of the house to the other and inspect and correct as you go. Also check the panel to make sure that the bare wires have not just been cut off as they enter the panel. If so then extend the bare wires and connect to the grounding bar. You really are lucky because you have the grounding wire in the cable. I suspect that you have the old cloth style cables instead of the plastic sheathed cables. This is ok. Just go through all junctions and start inspecting and correcting as you go. Should be able to be done in about two evenings by yourself.

Hope this helps

Wg