Wiring 2 Baseboard Heaters

Old 10-25-00, 08:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I have two 240V baseboard heaters connected to one thermostat. An electrician wired one of them, but didn't wire the other as it was defective. I've replaced the bad one, but now need to finish wiring it. I attempted to duplicate the wiring scheme the electrician used, but ended up with a loud pop and a blown thermostat. Should I reverse the wiring scheme on the one I wired and try again? I suspect they are wired in series, although I have only a hot, neutral and ground running to each heater. I can handle the cost of replacing the blown thermostat, but would like to avoid destroying the heaters (if I haven't already done so - did the thermostat protect the heaters from my first wiring attempt?).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-00, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
It is unlikely that you did any damage to the heaters themselves. I hate to be blunt, but you probably should get the electrician back. You don't seem to know that with a 240 volt system you have 2 hot wires, not one hot and one neutral as you describe. I'd also be concerned about the current rating of the thermostat. Assuming that the thermostat is capable, then what you should have done is simply wire the second heater in parallel with the first. I don't know why your electrician didn't just leave the wires in place and capped off till the heater was fixed.