Fuse Panels

Old 10-25-00, 05:46 PM
Visiting Guest
For an older home with fuses instead of circuit brakers, can someone tell me what size fuse should be used for certain guage wire going to it.
Example: 14 AWG = ?? Amp fuse.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-25-00, 06:06 PM
Visiting Guest
The following is a copy of the section in the 99 NEC that limits the smaller conductors sizes with the exception of motors loads, taps, and transformes.

Hope this helps

Wg

240-3. Protection of Conductors

d) Small Conductors. Unless specifically permitted in (e) through (g), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed 15 amperes for No. 14, 20 amperes for No. 12, and 30 amperes for No. 10 copper; or 15 amperes for No. 12 and 25 amperes for No. 10 aluminum and copper-clad aluminum after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.

Old 10-25-00, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

wg is THE expert here, but all of that means that on 14 gauge circuits, it is 15 amps max fuses, to answer your question simply (which is the only way that "I" can). LOL

Old 10-26-00, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
My 2 cents: I lived with one of those for 6 years before I recently upgraded. The previous owner had all 20s & 30s undoubtedly because the correctly sized 15s kept blowing and causing them to be inconvenienced. I'm thinking that house fires are pretty inconvenient, too. The house had a lot of very old wiring, and the first thing I did when I bought it was change every fuse to a 15 amp.

If you have any of the old knob & tube wiring, in most cases it's going to be 14 gauge copper. Pulling too many amps through too small wire is what creates heat, creating the potential for a fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: